How do GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats help with mobility?
GREENIES® JointCare treats actively nourish healthy joints and help protect mobility of adult dogs of all ages and sizes. Made with Green-Lipped Mussel, a sustainable harvested species of mussel only found in New Zealand, this tasty treat provides a nutritional solution to maintain joint mobility throughout a lifetime. This unique ingredient is not found in any other hip & joint treats sold in Pet Specialty stores.
Why is mobility important to a dog’s health?
Mobility issues affect the quality of life of about half the dog population in the U.S. It affects dogs of all ages and sizes with 6 of the top 10 AKC registered breeds at risk of hip and joint problems in their lifetimes.
How do I know if my dog has hip and joint problems?
Dogs like to be able to climb stairs with ease or jump eagerly to catch a ball. When mobility issues affect the quality of life of adult dogs, this could be the result of age, size, obesity, high activity level, genetic predisposition, and/or trauma. Pet parents can confidently feed GREENIES® JointCare treats as part of their daily routine to help maintain healthy joint mobility throughout their dog’s life.
What are the symptoms of hip and joint problems?
Hip and joint problems can be associated with pain, loss of appetite, lameness, inflammation of joints, lack of mobility, personality change, repeating licking of a joint, falling behind on walks, stiffness for hours after exercise, difficulty getting up in the morning or after taking a nap during the day.
What are the features and benefits of GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats?
GREENIES® JointCare treats are nutritional treats made with Green-Lipped Mussel to naturally maintain joint mobility. They contain glucosamine and chondroitin from both Green-Lipped Mussel and chicken cartilage to help protect mobility by providing the building blocks for health joints. They contain natural sources of omega-3 fatty acids from Green-Lipped Mussel, fish oil and flaxseed to provide essential nutrients the body naturally needs to actively nourish healthy joints. They feature naturally-occurring sources of amino acids, a source of sulphur for normal cartilage maintenance, and vitamins (E&C) and minerals (zinc, copper and manganese) from Green-Lipped Mussel.
What is Green-Lipped Mussel?
Green-Lipped Mussel is a bivalve mollusk shellfish that differs from other mussel species. Green-Lipped Mussel has a dark brown/green shell, a green lip around the edge of the shell and only has one adductor muscle (similar to that of the muscles in a human hip). It is also one of the largest mussel species reaching 240 mm in length.
What do Green-Lipped Mussels look like?
The Green-Lipped Mussel differs from other mussel species due to its dark brown to green shell, and the green lip it has around the edge of its shell. Their clean green cultivation and pollution-free growth environment make them one of nature’s best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, glucosamine and chondroitin. This unique blend of nutrients provides the building blocks known to promote healthy joints.
Where is Green-Lipped Mussel coming from?
The Green-Lipped Mussel (or Perna Canaliculus) is a sustainable harvested species of mussel found only in New Zealand. It is also known as the New Zealand mussel, as well as greenshell mussel or greenlip mussel.
How was Green-Lipped Mussel discovered?
Many years ago, off the coast of New Zealand, researchers came across an unexpected anomaly. But it wasn’t what they found that was the anomaly, it was what they didn’t find. They discovered a community living off the coast of New Zealand absent of arthritis symptoms. Arthritis was present in all societies around the world, so how was this community any different? After studying the New Zealanders, it was determined that their diet, which was high in Green-Lipped Mussel, was the only discernible difference between this community and others around the world. Green-Lipped Mussel is a nutritional whole food that possesses a unique fatty acid combination. This edible bivalve, a class of freshwater marine life, has been a valuable food source for the native people of New Zealand for centuries. It contains the ocean’s natural mineral balance, similar to that found in the human body.
What is it in Green-Lipped Mussel that works so well?
Green-Lipped Mussel contains a unique combination of omega-3 fatty acids such as DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), and ETA (eicosatetraenoic acid), as well as vitamins, minerals and proteins that are found in this marine organism. As a result of the complex nutritional matrix found in Green-Lipped Mussel, it’s very difficult to identify exactly which nutrient, or the unique nutrient combination, provides the benefit. While the exact nutrient is not clear, the beneficial effects of omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to joint health benefits, and Green-Lipped Mussel has a unique combination of omega-3 fatty acids. Regardless, research at WALTHAM, THE WORLD’S LEADING AUTHORITY ON PET CARE AND NUTRITION®, has validated the efficacy of Green-Lipped Mussel, so you can be assured you’re doing your best to nutritionally maintain healthy mobility.
What is the amount of Green-Lipped Mussel in each product size of GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats?
We have formulated GREENIES® JointCare Small/Medium size treats to have the appropriate levels of Green-Lipped Mussel for dogs 15-49 lbs. We have formulated GREENIES® JointCare Large size treats to have efficacious levels of Green-Lipped Mussel for dogs 50 lbs. and above. These levels are based on the clinical studies performed by WALTHAM, THE WORLD’S LEADING AUTHORITY ON PET CARE AND NUTRITION® that demonstrate the joint benefits of Green-Lipped Mussel.
Do GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats contain 1,000 mg each of both Glucosamine and Chondroitin per stick?
No. The levels of Glucosamine and Chondroitin are labeled in terms of mg/kg of product on the packaging, as required by AAFCO regulations. We are guaranteeing a minimum of 1,000 mg/kg of Glucosamine and 1,000 mg/kg of Chondroitin. The levels of Glucosamine are 22 mg and 16 mg, respectively, in the Large and Small/Medium sticks. Chondroitin is the same. The beneficial and nutritional ingredient is Green-Lipped Mussel. It can work along with nutraceuticals like Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help support overall joint health through nutritional supplementation.
Can GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats be fed in addition to a Glucosamine & Chondroitin main diet and/or other vitamins?
The levels of glucosamine and chondroitin in GREENIES® JointCare treats would not be a problem even if fed with foods or tablets that also contain these nutrients. The same would be true for vitamins and minerals. Any of these micronutrients that is beyond what is needed by animals for normal body metabolism would be eliminated from the body. It would be similar if a person was taking a multivitamin such as Centrum but they were already getting adequate vitamin levels from their diet. The excess vitamins would be eliminated by the kidneys/liver with no problems.
Do GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats contain MSM?
No. The ingredient that gives GREENIES® JointCare treats their nutritional benefit is Green-Lipped Mussel. Green-Lipped Mussel has a unique fatty acid profile that helps nutritionally support overall joint health.
Are GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats considered low calorie?
GREENIES® JointCare treats contain a calorie content similar to a weight management product, but are not “low calorie” treats. The calorie level of GREENIES® JointCare is 3.33 kcal/g, whereas a “lite” treat or diet should report a calorie content lower than 3.1 kcal/g. GREENIES® JointCare Small/Medium size treats contain about 53 calories per treat on an as-fed basis and the Large size treats contain about 73 calories per treat on an as-fed basis.
How much do GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats cost?
The price of GREENIES®
JointCare treats varies based on the packaging size. The approximate retail price for a package is $8.99 and $31.99.
Is there a need to disclose potential shellfish allergies on the packaging?
We would not recommend that GREENIES® JointCare treats be handled or fed by people with known shellfish allergies without taking adequate precautions to ensure that no contact would occur with the treats. For every individual this will be different. Each individual should know the level of exposure that it would take for them to have a reaction (i.e. how allergic they are and how much contact they can have before it would occur). We have printed on the packaging that "Green-Lipped Mussel is a shellfish and will impart a natural occurring fish aroma; may also cause allergic reactions in humans" as a precaution.
Will GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats stain my carpet?
It has not been commonly reported as a problem by consumers. But GREENIES® JointCare treats contain a source of chlorophyll which can mix with a dog’s saliva and depending on the dog’s eating habits can cause the green color to be transferred to light colored carpet or fabric.
What is WALTHAM, THE WORLD’S LEADING AUTHORITY ON PET CARE AND NUTRITION®?
For nearly 50 years, The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition has been the leading authority within the field of dog and cat nutrition. WALTHAM® scientists work in partnership with the pets at The Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition, where fundamental pet-focused research delivers scientific breakthroughs in the areas of pet nutrition, heath, wellbeing and behavior.
What is the ingredients for GREENIES® JointCare Canine treats?
- Rice Flour – Source of carbohydrate. Finely ground meal from the milling of rice, which consists primarily of the starch and gluten fractions. Rice flour provides an excellent source of highly digestible carbohydrates for quick energy.
- Glycerin – Liquid ingredient that is classified as a humectant to help GREENIES® JointCare treats maintain their flexible, chewy texture throughout the shelf life of the treat.
- Wheat Starch – Source of carbohydrate. Wheat starch is a natural source of energy from the starch of wheat grain.
- Chicken Meal – Protein source, and natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin to help support healthy joints. Chicken meal is made from whole chicken that’s cooked to remove the water and fat – leaving a dry, highly concentrated source of high-quality protein.
- Gelatin – Pork source of protein. Gelatin contributes to the soft and flexible texture of GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Water – Sufficient water for processing.
- Chicken Cartilage – A natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin to help maintain healthy joints and support mobility.
- Pea Protein Isolate – Vegetable protein that contributes a good amino acid profile. Also is highly soluble/digestible.
- Natural Poultry Flavor – Proprietary palatability enhancer that reacts with the proteins in GREENIES® JointCare treats to help give great taste that dogs love.
- Ground Flaxseed – Contains omega-3 fatty acids (ALA, or alpha-linolenic-acid) that are beneficial for the skin and a healthy immune system.
- Dried Green-Lipped Mussel – Natural source of omega-3 fatty acids (DHA, EPA, and ETA), glucosamine, chondroitin, vitamins and minerals.
- Potato Protein – Vegetable protein that contributes a good amino acid profile and is highly soluble/digestible. Potato protein is a novel protein source which may reduce digestive upset in dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Encapsulated Fish Oil – Natural source of omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.
- Dl-Methionine – Essential amino acid associated with nutritional joint health.
- L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate – A source of vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals. Also recognized by WCPN as a beneficial antioxidant for dogs.
- Food Starch-Modified – Helps give proper texture to GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Calcium Carbonate – A natural source of calcium for bone and teeth development.
- Smoke Flavor – Flavor enhancer for GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Calcium Chloride – A natural source of calcium for bone and teeth development.
- Apple Pomace – Contributes natural vegetable fiber for healthy digestion and natural antioxidants.
- Dried Tomato – Whole dried tomato product that contains natural antioxidants and adds to palatability.
- Salt – Contribute to palatability of GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Potassium Sorbate – Helps to preserve freshness and microbial stability throughout the 12- month shelf life of GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Lecithin – Is a soy based ingredient that aids in the manufacturing process of GREENIES® JointCare treats. Lecithin has also been demonstrated to be beneficial to a healthy nervous system.
- Silicon Dioxide – Processing aid for GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative) – Helps keep GREENIES® JointCare treats fresh throughout the shelf life of the product.
- Dl-Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (source of vitamin E) – Fundamental nutrient for a healthy immune system.
- Tartaric Acid – Helps preserve functional ingredients in GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Zinc Sulfate – A source of zinc, which is an essential mineral.
- Chlorophyll – Ingredient derived from plants. Chlorophyll can help freshen breath.
- Manganese Sulfate – A source of manganese, which is a mineral that has a vital role in the proper function of cells within the body. It is necessary for the formation of bone and joint cartilage and neurological function.
- Vitamins – Vitamin C and Vitamin E are naturally sourced in GREENIES® JointCare treats.
- Minerals – Calcium carbonate, calcium chloride, salt, zinc sulfate, and manganese sulfate.